Saturday, March 12, 2016

Mediterranean Grill, Bel Red Road

Often when I go to bed early I wake up in the middle of the night and then I often have trouble going back to sleep. So if you notice closely most of my blogs say in the middle of the night. :)

So today is no different, went to bed early woke up and couldn't sleep, so I was reminiscing events of the day and this one kind of stood out.

There is this Mediterranean Grill on Bel Red Road Bellevue, Washington. I have been there thrice (today was third time).
It is kind of a small, cozy place with very good food. They say they make it all fresh and I think the freshness of ingredients kind of seeps into the taste of  food they serve too.



First time I went there, there was a lady serving the food, she was not very nice but wasn't very rude either. Second time I went with one of my colleagues and there was this guy at the counter and he was not so nice and looked like he was in scurry, I didn't see anyone waiting while we ordered (we had just entered the place), it being a small place I looked around and the crowd wasn't thick either, I thought may be he is preoccupied or something. I didn't give that much heave of thought then. Last time my colleague complained of him being rude but I thought it was just a bad day.

Today being Friday and after 2 weeks of fire fighting, late nights and dealing with multiple "Bosses" we decided to go out for lunch. My colleague said "Shall we do Mediterranean again?"
Me: ???? Again?
Her: Yheah, I didn't like the guy but I liked the food. I have decided if he doesn't smile today I wont tip him but I like the food.
Me: Okay, but I have 2 more colleagues joining us.
Her: That's okay, if its only 2 I am not in mood to socialize today unless it's you.
Me: Just 2 more girls. It would be fine lets go.

When I reached there I saw same expressions on his face (intimidating, like he has lost patience already and hey we just walked in, whats the deal with this guy). After 2 weeks of all of the things mentioned above we did not want this kind of behavior for lunch was for sure.

I knew that both of my new found colleagues had never tried Mediterranean food and my other colleague is low in energy and just like last time this guy is intimidating and in a scurry let me order first and fast as being the vegetarian I have limited options to choose from and them (all 3) being non-vegetarians had much more choices. So after I placed my order I was waiting for my 2 newly added to group colleagues struggle to order at the counter and he was being himself (a jerk in a scurry for no reason visible to us). When I observed from a distance how he was intimidating these 2 little girls fresh out of college in a new country, I couldn't help myself but tell him "Oh come on be nice, they are coming here for the first time, having Mediterranean for first time", and I also told him that my other friend standing near the door has already decided not to tip because he is being himself ...yup ooopsie daisy.
(My other friend was not happy because she felt obliged to pay tip because of my big mouth.)

His response was "I cant read minds, and its a to go place no pressure for tips." Well this is where I got tongue tied, I didn't say anything but mean while my 2 new friends could make up their minds on what they wanted to try. I knew after this its up-to him to decide either to be nice or continue being himself. Cant help it.

While we were seated and waiting for our food to arrive I thought he might as well spit in our food before serving and trust me I didn't want to think about it, I was hoping against all hopes that he didn't as he is not the one making our food. (I had seen it in some Hollywood movies).

Finally he comes with our food and a smile, he was trying to be nice when he got our food I wasn't sure if it was genuine but now that I think of it, I think he was genuinely trying to be nice. My first friend (who had to tip) asked why did you have to open your big mouth and I was like well he seemed to be a straight forward person I know that language being one myself. (I don't know some how it felt right to do so, I cant tell why?... but it did).

After that he was nice to us all and even asked if my new friends liked the food for the first time.
Before leaving I wished him to have a good day.

Now that I am thinking the first thought passed my mind was that perhaps he didn't like Asians or did not like our faces. He himself was a tall, good looking guy in a rugged way as he didn't bother to shave but carried it off pretty well. Yes we Asians esp Indians we don't have those good looking genes like others, our height, body, color and the way we dress up (not) is far from something we can say good looking or fitting in; and top it with the cherry of language barrier (often not always).

I was thinking I should have told him we may not be pretty faces to look at but we are humans we have a brain, heart, liver, kidney just like him and we have pure blood running in our veins not mud as he might have expected. I also wanted to tell him that one of my 2 new friends is so sweet that if he was a Vampire (yheah Washington state and Vampires, Werewolves kind of go hand in hand in my mind :| :) ) he could smell the sweetness in her blood from afar.

But then another thought entered my mind, I realized that he was just being himself, which makes him a jerk to others and I felt it was more like a wall to protect himself (don't know from what) but it wasn't for us, perhaps it was for himself. perhaps he was scared of something so it was his facade.
These people (jerks) are just being themselves and in the lee they become jerks to others.

I also realized that I have been accommodating his behavior all this time. It didn't affect me until I saw him being rude to others. Perhaps being close friends with one (jerk) once, I have got a little immune to people being jerks, and I knew he wasn't all that bad he was just being himself. These borderline jerks are often (not always) very good at heart inside, they can be amazing human beings if they decide to be so.

Only good thing was he took the feedback positively and if he continues serving with a smile he would perhaps cover up the fifth star missing for his restaurant in Yelp. :)

Well this blog is for him.(I don't know his name).
Cheers and serve with a smile. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment